International Security Consultant
Director, ClubFed, LLC
• Assists clients with strategies, policies and activities relating to national security and public safety.
• Expert in criminal investigations, counterintelligence and counterterrorism.
• Global authority on interrogation, investigative interviewing and ethical leadership.
• Past-Chair of the U.S. Government’s High Value Detainee Interrogation Group (HIG) Research Committee. Chair of the IMPACT Section of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP).
• International expert on a global Steering Committee to develop a set of guidelines on non-coercive, scientifically grounded, investigative interviewing standards, and attendant legal procedural safeguards.
Consultant — Subject Matter Expert — Keynote Speaker
• Interrogation professional -- Suspect, witness, victim interviews
• Detection and Deception -- Credibilty Assessment -- Cognitive Interview
• Counterterrorism -- Counterintelligence -- Criminal Investigation
• Leading During Crisis -- Crisis Management -- Crisis Negotiations
• Risk assessment and mitigation -- Insider Threat
• Strategic Analysis -- Field Research -- Countering Violent Extremism
• Scientific Methods of Assessing Reliability and Truth (SMART) investigative interviewing
Author — "Unjustifiable Means: The Inside Story of How the CIA, Pentagon, and US Government Conspired to Torture"
• “Unjustifiable Means” provides detailed insider information on the government’s decision to implement “Enhanced Interrogation Techniques” (EIT) - TORTURE - and the backchannels and deception employed to legalize EIT methods and hide them from the public’s view. Hard-hitting, raw, and explosive, “Unjustifiable Means” exposes those who were responsible for the torture program. It also identifies the heroes who risked their careers to oppose torture and the leadership challenges they faced trying to bring terrorists to justice while protecting human rights – and upholding the US Constitution they swore an oath to defend and protect. By casting a defining light on one of America’s darkest periods, the book serves as a cautionary tale for those who wield the power to reinstate torture. (ReganArts 2017)
Contributing Author — "The Psychology of Criminal Investigation: From Theory to Practice”
• Offers an overview of models of investigation from a psychological and practical view point, covering topics such as investigative decision making, the presentation of evidence, witness testimony, the detection of deception, interviewing suspects and evidence-based police training. It is essential reading for students, researchers and practitioners engaged with police practice, investigation and forensic psychology. (Routledge 2018)
Co-Editor and Contributing Author — “Interrogation and Torture: Integrating Efficacy with Law and Morality”
• This volume delves into interrogation and torture at a unique moment as significant developments continue to unfurl: 1) emerging scientific research into the most effective interrogation techniques; 2) efforts to integrate this science and practice into international law. Contributors present key elements of the burgeoning research and authors explore their impacts on other fields. Most noteworthy, this knowledge and science is being brought to bear on the realm of international law as the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture launched an initiative at the close of his mandate in 2016 to create a Universal Protocol to set standards for non-coercive interviewing. Universal Protocols on Investigative Interviewing (Scheduled to be published by Oxford University Press 2019)
US Government Service - 31 yrs
Senior Executive, DHS - 2 yrs
• Department of Homeland Security: Assistant Director, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
NCIS Special Agent - 27 yrs
• Deputy Assistant Director for Counterterorism
• Deputy Commander, DOD Criminal Investigation Task Force
• Special Agent In Charge (SAIC)
• Chief of Counterintelligence Operations - Europe, Africa, Middle East Division
• Commander, USS Cole Task Force
• Undercover Agent
• Asset Handler
• Director, NCIS Training Academy
Deputy US Marshal - 2 yrs
• Judicial Security; Serving Indictments; Fugitive Operations; Witness Security
The book the US Government doesn't want you to read.
Delves deep into the illegal, immoral, and failed US Government-sanctioned torture policies. The book identifies those in authority who enabled and condoned the use of torture and other human rights abuses. It also identifies those individuals and leaders who, under enormous pressure, displayed integrity and courage in standing against torture and human degradation as an instrument of warfare.
About Mark -- from Special Agent to Int'l Consultant
Information about Mark -- his career as a federal agent, counterintelligence officer, counterterrorism official, researcher, consultant, strategist and national security professional. Contains summaries, details, plus "Then" and "Now" photos.
Speaker - Keynote, Motivational, Informational
Information about Mark's role as a keynote, motivational, and informational speaker. Mark uses his 30+ years of experience and subject matter expertise to provide conference/meeting audiences with customized, interesting, in-depth information and analyses. Contains a list of organizations for whom Mark has provided keynote speeches, talks, and presentations.
Events - Media Interviews, Articles, Videos
Multimedia about Mark. Interviews with and articles by broadcast news and journalists -- CNN, NBC, MSNBC, Fox, BBC, Huff Post, Politico, NY Times, Straits Times, Al Jazeera, etc. Conference presentations and panel participation -- INTERPOL, U.N., U.S. Senate, WINx, etc. Also, Mark's published op-ed pieces.